Code No: 52204/MT
M.Tech. II-Semester Examinations, July/August-2006.
FLEXIBLE A.C. TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS
(Common to Power Electronics and Electric Drives, Power and
Industrial Drives, Power Electronics, Electrical Power Engineering
and Power System Control and Automation)
Time: 3 hours Max. Marks: 60
Answer any FIVE questions
All questions carry equal marks
1.a) What are the factors which limit the loading capabilities of
transmission line. Explain.
b) Discuss the dynamic stability and power flow considerations of
2. Give a detailed analysis of voltage source full wave bridge
3. Explain the concept of multilevel voltage source inverter.
4. What are the objectives of shunt compensation? Explain how
shunt compensation can improve dynamic performance of power
5.a) Derive an equation for fundamental component of thyristor
b) Explain the operation of switching converter type reactive power
6. Give a detailed dynamic performance comparison of SVC and
7. Describe the capabilities of series compensation in improving
transient stability, Power oscillation damping and voltage stability.
8. Write short notes on the following:
a) GTO thyristor controlled series capacitor
b) Thyristor controlled series capacitor.