Code No. A0704
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY, HYDERABAD
M.Tech. I Semester Regular Examinations, March – 2009
FLEXIBLE AC TRANSMISSION SYSTEM
(Electrical Power Systems)
Time: 3 hours Max. Marks. 60
Answer any Five questions
All questions carry equal marks
1.a) Why transmission interconnections are necessary and what are the major
constraints of todays power system?
b) Can FACTS technology provide solutions to the above constraints if so discuss
them in detail.
2. Explain the operation of 3-phase full wave voltage source bridge converter for 24-
pulse operation with relevant waveforms.
3.a) Compare the advantages and disadvantages of voltage source converters over
current source converters.
b) Explain the principle of 3-level voltage source converter.
4. What is the necessity of shunt compensation form the view point of
a) Mid point voltage regulation
b) Prevention of voltage in stability
5.a) Mention the different methods of controllable VAR generation.
b) Describe the principle of operation of FC-TCR SVC with appropriate control
6.a) Discuss the condition for transient free switching of a thyristor switched
b) Explain the basic control scheme of STATCOM.
7.a) What is “series compensation” in transmission system?
b) With the help of line diagram, discuss the impact of series compensation on a
8.a) What are the “series compensation” schemes available using thyristor?
b) Describe the principle of operation of thyristor controlled series compensator
- Download JNTU M.TECH 2-Semester FLEXIBLE A.C. TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS JULY/AUG-2006 Exam Question Paper
- Download JNTU (OR) M.TECH 1-Semester SOLID STATE POWER CONVERTERS January / February-2007 Exam Question Paper
- Download JNTU (OR) M.TECH 2-Semester HIGH VOLTAGE D.C.TRANSMISSION JULY/AUG-2006 Exam Question Paper
- Download JNTU M.TECH 2-Semester HVDC TRANSMISSION JULY/AUG-2006 Exam Question Paper
- Download JNTU M.TECH 1-Semester HIGH VOLTAGE D.C. TRANSMISSION February-2007 Exam Question Paper
Free Email Newsletter
And then confirm your email subcription