Code No: A0305
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY, HYDERABAD
M.Tech. I Semester Regular Examinations, March – 2009
PROCESS ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES
Time: 3 hours Max. Marks. 60
Answer any Five questions
All questions carry equal marks
1.a) What is the role of Bioprocess Engineering in Biotech Industry?
b) What is the difference between unit operation and unit process? And explain it with the help of suitable examples.
2. The frictional pressure drop (∆ p) for the flow of a fluid through a long, straight, round pipe depends upon the length (l), diameter (d), and average height of the wall roughness (e) of the pipe; the average fluid velocity (u), the density (p) and the viscosity (µ) of the fluid. Use the Buckingham method to make a dimensional analysis of the system.
3. What is Newton’s law of viscosity? And give the classification of fluids in detail.
4. Give sketch of u-tube manometer and explain its working.
5. Give construction and sketch of
(a) Piston pump
(b) Centrifugal pump and
(c) Gear pump.
6. What are the modes of heat transfer? And explain indetail each mode of Heat transfer with examples.
7. Derive the expression for heat flow through thick walled cylinder (with r1, as inside radius and r2 as outside radius) lagged with a layer of insulation. Take K1 as thermal conductivity of material and K2 as thermal conductivity of insulating material. Assume r3 be the outer radius of insulation, inside temperature T1 and Temperature at outer surface of insulation as T2 .
8.a) Give the mathematical statement of Fick’s law of diffusion and give the meaning of each terms involved in equation.
b) Explain in detail. What are the theories involved in mass transfer operation and give its mathematical expressions.