Code No: OR-15/EMBS
M.Tech. I-Semester Examinations, January/February-2007.
PRINCIPLES OF VLSI SYSTEM DESIGN
Time: 3 hours Max. Marks: 60
Answer any FIVE questions
All questions carry equal marks
– – –
1. Explain clearly the hierarchical design procedure of VLSI System
2.a) Explain the behaviour of the gate capacitance of MOS device in
off-region, saturated region and non-saturated region.
b) How do you estimate the resistance of non-rectangular shapes of
3.a) What are the two components that causes the power dissipation in
CMOS circuits? Explain them briefly.
b) How do you calculate the short-circuit power dissipation?
4. Explain about the following classical techniques for reducing the
complexity of IC design.
5. Summarize the differences between a SOG chip and a standard-
cell chip. What benefits does each implementation style have?
6. Explain the principle of carry-saw adder and carry-lookahead
7.a) Explain the principle of generic ROM with a block diagram.
b) Distinguish between static and dynamic memory elements.
8. Draw the architecture of a 6-bit Flash ADC and explain it clearly.