NIT NIMCET MCA ENTRANCE TEST SYLLABUS 2012
NIT NIMCET a common entrance test for admission in to MCA course in 11 various NIT’s.And this entrance test is being designed to test the candidate’s capability in following areas:
• Analytical reasoning
• Computer awareness
• Quantitative Ability
• Logical reasoning
(1) Mathematics: (50 Questions)
• Set Theory: Concepts of sets – Union – Intersection – Cardinality – Elementary counting permutations and combinations
• Probability and Statistics: Basic concepts of probability theory, Averages, Dependent and independent events, frequency distributions, measures of central tendencies and dispersions.
• Algebra: Fundamental operations in Algebra, Expansions, Factorization, simultaneous linear / quadratic equations, indices, logarithms, arithmetic, geometric and harmonic progressions, determinants and matrices.
• Coordinate Geometry: Rectangular Cartesian coordinates, distance formulae, equation of a line, and intersection of lines, pair of straight lines, equations of a circle, parabola, ellipse, and hyperbola.
• Calculus: Limit of functions, Continuous function, Differentiation of function, tangents and normals, simple examples of maxima and minima. Integration of function by parts, by substitution and by partial fraction; Definite integrals, Applications of Definite Integrals to areas.
• Vectors: Position vector, addition and subtraction of vectors, scalar and vector products and their applications to simple geometrical problems and mechanics.
• Trigonometry: Simple identities, trigonometric equations, properties of triangles, solution of triangles, heights and distances, General solutions of trigonometric equations.
(2) Analytical Ability and Logical Reasoning: (40 Questions)
The questions in this section will cover logical reasoning and quantitative aptitude. Some of the questions will be on comprehension of a logical situation and questions based on the facts given in the passage.
(3) Computer Awareness: (10 questions)
- Computer Basics: Organization of a Computer, Central Processing Unit (CPU), Structure of instructions in CPU, input/output devices, computer memory, back-up devices.
- Data Representation: Representation of characters, integers and fractions, binary and hexadecimal representations, Binary Arithmetic: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, simple arithmetic and two’s complement arithmetic, floating point representation of numbers, Boolean algebra, truth tables, Venn diagrams.
(4) General English: (20 questions)
Questions in this section will be designed to test the candidates’ general understanding of the English language. There will be questions on the following topics.
• Basic English Grammar (like usage of correct forms of verbs, prepositions and articles)
• Word power
• Synonyms and Antonyms
• Meanings of words and phrases
• Technical writing